|UP Board master chapter 6 Class 12th Comprehension Questions on Paras|
|Chapter name||WOMEN’S EDUCATION|
|Chapter Number||Number 4 Comprehension Questions on Paras|
|Category||English PROSE Class 12th|
Q. Read the following passages and answer the questions given below;
(1) Threrfore, it is essential that the education which you acquire in these institutions should give you not merely learning and skill but endow you with a definite purpose in life. What that purpose is you have to define for yourselves. It is said that vidya gives you viveka, vimarsarupini vidva gives you a sense of what is right and helps you to avoid what is wrong. You must try, therefore, to find out What is required of you in this generation. A purpose which held good centuries
ago may not hold good today in view of the rapidly changing conditions of our country and of the world. So the purpose which you adopt in your life must be adapted to the relevant needs of the present generation
- What does the education in institutions give?
- What will help us to define a purpose for ourselves? How?
- Why will an old purpose not hold good today?
- What special care should we take in adopting a purpose ?
- The education in institutions gives us learning and some technical skill.
- “Vidya’ will help us to define a purpose for ourselves. It will do so by giving us a sense of what is right and what is wrong.
- An old purpose will not hold good today because the conditions everywhere have changed.
- When adopting a purpose we should see that it is adapted to the relevant needs of the present generation
(2) When you talk about education, you have several aims in view : give the people, those who are taught, knowledge of the world in which they live science, history and geography enable you to get that knowledge; you also train the people to acquire some technical skill by which they can earn a livelihood. These are still accepted the world over as the objects of education : knownledge of the world in which you live and technical skil by which you can earn a livelihood. But what is
there specific about the kind of education imparted in the institutions of our country We have heard that the chief purpose of education is not merely the acquiring of skill or information but the initiation into a higher life, initiation into a world which transcends the world of Space and Time, though the latter informs and animates the former. That has been the main purpose of eduction. For some centuries we neglected our women folk. Our tradition, however, has been somewhat
- How can we acquire the knowledge of the world in which we live ?
- Why is technical skill important in life?
- What are the objects of eduction accepted all over the world?
- What has been the main purpose of eduction in India ?
- We can acquire the knowledge of the world in which we live by studying science, history and geography.
- Technical skill is important in life. It helps us to support life.
- Knowledge of the world in which we live and technical skili by which we can earn a livelihood are the objects of education accepted the world over.
- The main purpose of eduction in India has been the introduction into a world which rises above the world of Space and Time.
(3) In ancient times, our women had the ceremony of Upanayana’ performed for them. They were entitled to a study of the Vedas. They were also entitled to the
chanting of the ‘gayatri Japa. All these things were open to our women. But our civilization became arrested and one of the main signs of that decay of our civilization is the subjection of women.
After Independence, through the exertions of Mahatma Gandhi, a revolution has been effected in our country, and women are coming into their own.
- How do you know that our women had a high place in ancient India ?
- What shows the decay of our civilization ?
- What revolution has been effected in our country after Independence ?
- Who has contributed most to bring about this revolution?
- In ancient times women could join ‘Upanayana’ ceremony, studied the Vedas’ and chanted ‘Gayatri Japa’. It shows their high position in ancient India.
- The subjection of women is one of the main signs of the decay of our civilization.
- Women are enjoying their due position and rights today.
- Mahatma Gandhi has contributed most to bring about the revolution about women in India
|UP Board Syllabus Chapter 6 Class 12th English (Prose)|